Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend Wrap-up

I had the strangest weekend here in SLC so I decided that I should BLOG about it in its entirety so get ready, get set, because here we go.

Friday: I have been getting the WORST back aches since the move (can't imagine why) so I decided to treat myself to a massage. Ang came up and we were on our way. We had an appointment for one girl and one man, that's all that was left. Naturally as luck would have it, I ended up with Michael. So I get in there, and you know lay face down on the table. He comes in and starts the massage and he is telling me that my back is really tight, thanks for the info Michael I had no idea. So we start chatting, which drives me crazy, its a massage for heavens sake. I just want to listen to the monks chanting. He starts talking about how I put all my stresses in my back, which is not a shock but the rest of what he told me about myself was quite insightful:

-I am only nice to people to manipulate people into giving me what I want
-I have so much bottled up anger, I need to learn to let it go
-That I am friendly to people to hide my insecurities
-I lack confidence in myself

It's always nice to get a COMPLETE personality profile free of charge from someone that has spent a whole 3 seconds with you, and when you are butt naked. Awesome. Naturally, I was playing it up...I just love egging people like that on. I kept saying, you are so right, how did you know this about me, I need to work on that...Everything made a lot more sense when I found out that he was a Shaman in training. Do yourself a favor and read my friend Christin's BLOG about her trip to the Shaman http://howtallryou.blogspot.com/, its under SAY WHAT?

Saturday: We were walking out of Smith's and the sweetest homeless lady asked for a dollar. Neither of us had cash so we politely told her, sorry no. The lady behind us was asked the same question and said to the homeless lady, "I am going to kick you in the face." Lisa and I just sat there dumbfounded.

Sunday: First day in the ward, always a treat. They asked me to give the closing prayer so they announce my name over the pulpit. Half way through the closing song, the little refugee kid gets up and sits on the stand. I ask my friend Steve what I should do, he tells me he does it every week. I don't know any different so I start charging to the front and as I am about half way there, Mr Refugee starts praying....so I just grabbed a seat. Thank you Steve, no Mr Refugee doesn't do that every week...noted.

And last but not least, we had an open mic during RS and Priesthood. AKA one of my favorite things on the planet. Most people are talking about the BOM or cool spiritual experiences. Well they all were doing that until this hilarious kid, maybe not all there, not quite sure (maybe I should ask Michael) gets up and starts talking about this book that his mom gave him(which he had in hand) called I Lost my Number, Can I have Yours? He then starts talking the book, telling boys that they can borrow it, and talking about the pick up lines in the back. Like I said before, I was egging it on. I love stuff like this. After church, Lisa and I went for a walk at Liberty Park and I kid you not, this man drove up on his bike and yells to us, "I Lost my number....can I have yours." Man, birds of a feather....

But if anyone asks...we still really like it here....

13 comments:

Gaengy said...

Katie, I am laughing so hard my sides hurt! The massage story...well that takes the cake. It really was your lucky day. Personality profile, massage all rolled into one fee...brilliant! I must really lead a boring life. I never have stuff like this happen! You already told me the story of church on the phone, but it was still funny. Steve sounds like a great guy! Funny stuff. enjoyed the update...keep em coming!

RufflesAndFringe said...

That is why I don't think I would like a massage. That doesn't sound very relaxing, it sounds very uncomfortable. Funny, funny stories.

Mel said...

Oh Katie! I think you need to find a new massage place :) No thanks on the personality analysis! The prayer thing, awkward!

Chelsi Lasater said...

Three letters: WTF. I hate when they talk. Shut up and rub, damnit! Tell Ang hi.

Ashleigh said...

Okay, so I would be all about the personality analysis and would definitely be encouraging/coaxing every word out of him . . . mainly for my own entertainment later. Lisa and I were talking about this . . . if it's funny, you just have to have more no matter how painful it feels at the time. Anyway, I'm going to try this couples massage with Lisa and I might need his name so I can do a follow-up blog post. Also, I'll be calling, but I'm looking for an appointment to get music onto my shuffle (I'm actually running with the miracle of my new shoes).

Natalie Que said...

Okay, of all of your posts, this might be my favorite. Probably only because I had already heard and re-told the crotch sniffing post. But still, this was good stuff. I wish some one was here that I could share this with so I didn't have to be here pathetically laughing at the computer screen alone.

Where do I even start, it is all so good this post. That lady and the kicking part about sent me over the edge, especially since I was already laughing so much at your analysis. Oh man, good times. You're such a magnet for craziness...

Unknown said...

It sounds like the only thing your massage with Michael was missing was some frozen chicken. You may want to fill him in on its magical properties.

-Ben

AnneMarie said...

How does all this stuff happen to you?!

Gaengy said...

good one Ben!

pop pop said...

Fun stuff, I will be up in a few weeks. I could have som fun with "michael", if that is his real name. Was this a full price massage, 2 for 1 coupon, massage school?

Englishfam said...

Katie, this really is your funniest post yet. I am laughing even harder because I had a massage about 2 weeks ago with this girl that was telling me all about her ex boyfriend that cheated on her with 3 others girls, some friend of hers named "Bugs" and about her lesbian roommates' relationship. It was quite entertaining to say the least! I want a personality analysis too, it seems like he got you right on the money!! haha

The Funderburks said...

Salt Lake single ward sacrament meetings. Oh, those were the days. It is honestly some PRIME entertainment. Just wait until testimony meetings.

Kelli said...

Just stumbled upon your blog, and I think it's hilarious. Gotta love singlehood in Utah.