Tuesday, April 15, 2008

California aka the "Land of Promise."

I am hanging out in S California this week for work and so far it has been SO much fun. As I have been thinking about my trip so far, I am starting to think by the pictures people will be wondering where their tax dollars are going....I have attended 2 college fairs already and 2 more to go so don't worry! Your tax dollars are in good hands. Anyways, we (me, Katie Jo USU recruiter, Nick U recruiter and Fran Weber recruiter) got here on Sunday and I found the best place to stay, thank you Hotels.com We stayed at this great little resort called Pacific Palms right outside LA. Nick and I would like to personally thank them for complimentary robes in each room....

On Monday I had a college fair in downtown LA, man was that interesting. To be honest, every year this is one of my favorite fairs because I talk to more ghetto kids in the 3 hour block than I do in the entire year combined. I seriously just sit there and laugh for hours and hours while I am taking notes and what to purchase for souvenirs as far as "bling" and "ice" goes.

After the fair we got tickets to the taping of "Chelsey Lately". I was SO excited because she is seriously one of the funniest people I have ever watched, sometimes a little on the crude side, but hilarious non the less. While we were waiting in line, they picked Katie Jo to be a part of the show and I was so jealous! I kept yelling to them that they had the wrong Katie!!! But I still had a great time even though I was just part of the studio audience. After the show we walked out and I noticed Chuey's car. Chuey is Chelsey's "personal assistant" on the show and he is a little Mexican midget and she always calls him a "little nugget" He seriously is one of my favorite parts of the show. So I saw his car so I ran back to the car to grab my camera and while we were taking pictures with the car Chelsey's stylist started talking to us. We told her we were huge Chuey fans and she just called him up and asked him to come out and say hi to these crazy Utahns (sorry I painted us as crazy). His assistant said he would bring him on out. While we were waiting, Heather Mcdonald (writer of the show and round table star) drove up from running to the bank. So I said hi to her and she came right over and talked to us. She was so incredibly nice and told us that she really does get so excited when people recognize her. So naturally I thought if she loves getting recognized she won't mind a picture....My new best friend Heather and I at the studio

True to the assistant's promise Chuey came right out. He was so cute and sweet to us and he couldn't believe we really waited for him to come out. He even brought each of us out a little autographed picture of him in a tux, I about died! I didn't know what to do in the picture because I kid you not, he only didn't even go to my waist. I decided the crouch down was the best idea here.

Say hello to my little friend (please say with accent) Chuey, Little Nugget Car and me!

I didn't run into any other celebrities while I was there, sorry to disappoint but seriously Chuey was all I needed. We had to head up to Ventura today for another fair and we woke up and it was pretty gloomy in LA so we decided to head up pretty early so we could catch some sun. Obviously we didn't shower, brush our hair, put on makeup ect to go lay out, we just went as we were. When we got to Ventura it was WAY too cold to lay out and we were too early to check in so we were pretty nasty looking and stranded. Luckily, I spotted some outlets so off we went.

I am sure the associates were wondering why this homeless lady was shopping

After I got back to the car and realized how scary I looked I was pretty embarrassed. Sorry Mom I know you raised me better than this! It now makes more sense that the associates were spraying down my room with febreeze as I left.... We went to In and Out for lunch afterwards and this older gentleman kept talking to me and at first I thought he was hitting on me...then I caught a glimpse of myself in the straw holder and I realized he was just wanting to help get this run away off the street and into a half way house! My hair was seriously so greasy looking so I am going to steal the thunder from my sisters and let them know that, "No, In and Out didn't use the grease from my hair to fry the fries."

23 comments:

Nicole said...

HA! I didn't even think of the frying the fries in your hair saying of mom's, so I am so glad that you reminded me of that. I wonder if there are strange things that I say that someday my kids are going to make fun of? Looks like you are having so much fun and I am so glad that all of your dreams came true and you got to meet Chuey. I am sure there will be some great street performers for us to get our pictures taken with tomorrow in SF. Can't wait!

Amberlin Gefrom said...

woah shut up katie I am in San Diego this whole week!! woah we should party! I am doing a bike race and also I went through the San DIego temple today!!

Chelsey said...

Who wouldn't love an autographed picture of Chuey in a tux? That's good stuff!

Shauna said...

Chuey is my favorite little nugget too. katie this is hilarious...what show was it? the one that wasnt that funny with the triplet fish babies? Was your friend the one who had to guess what lindsay lohans tax return was?

I watch this show everyday shes freaking hilarious. i am so jealous.

Kristine L. said...

So fun. I love the pictures with you and the Lil Nugget. I wonder if he feels weird when people kneel down beside him. But... it would prob be more awkward if only his head was in the picture. Really, it is awkward either way.

AnneMarie said...

Thanks again for my Lil Nugget of comic relief from spring break and 24/7 of kids! You are the funniest!

Unknown said...

back to back in white robes... well now, doesn't that look familiar??? maple grove anyone?? i love your blog! ah the glitter. miss you!

Gaengy said...

Hey I did not see you on the Chelsea show...I recorded the one with the announcement of her fishes delivery. I do know about Chuey now though...glad to know you made all of their days! I got a kick out your greasy hair picture! You know I really do have some good lines down!!

The Baker said...

i was dying when i read that you got to go to the show.....i am so jealous, we watch her every night.

Chelsi Lasater said...

SHUT THE EFF UP!! I heart Chuey so much! I call Spencer my lil nugget and he gets mad....hahaha. Chelsey is so hillarious, I love her. I am totally jealous!

Kylee said...

Sounds like so much fun. Any recruits from LA to the good ol' Ag college in Logan, Utah. I'm so glad you have this blog to update me on all of your funny stories.

Natalie Que said...

That is hilarious, I love Chuey and Chelsea too. She seriously is one of the funniest people ever. I bet that was awkward to take a picture with the little guy, I never thought about that, hilarious! {Yes, I was screaming that at you!}

I notice you are rockin' my shades still, I meant to steal those back when I was home last...

Glad you're having a good time!

John + Bethany said...

So this is what you guys do when you're on the road... :-)

P.S. I found your blog via Nick's so I hope we can be blog friends.

Kendall Watkins said...

Chuey.... Seriously? I am so excited for you/jealous. I love the Chelsey Lately show too. It is perveted, but pretty funny. You seriously get to do the best things!

Mel said...

Katie!!! How fun you got to meet celebrities! I have no idea who they are but non-the-less you do and so that is awesome!! I love how short that guy was. Little Nugget I love that name! I use it for my kids a lot. Glad you are having a great time!!!!!

Unknown said...

I think this is my new favorite blog, just don't tell Nick that. Freaking hilarious! Check ours out sometime, while not as funny, we have our moments.

Steph said...

Seriously!?! Why were are recruiting trips never this fun?? I was just telling Brock the other day that I want to go to her show, love her! I'm so jealous you got to meet nugget.

cami said...

Katie
Its me Cami Clements!!! I came across your blog. Do you live in San Diego? My parents live there. I am currently in Arizona because my husband is in law school here. I really hope I hear from you! write me or call me. camiclem@yahoo.com.

Whitney said...

i am speechless...you are the coolest person i know for meeting chuey....

Shauna said...

uh i totally know mindy. TCs little sister is one of my great great friends, Kelsey. Thats how i know Mindy too. Hung out with her at church yesterday, actually.

AnneMarie said...

Katie, On Natalies blog you said you were on Lortab, I hope it was only because you got your tooth pulled or something. Are you O.K.?

Ashleigh said...

love chealsey lately. ansen ran into her at the airport 2 months ago. she said everyone thinks her last name is really lately . . . funny. ansen professed that we have been fans since the vh1 and mtv comment days. you know where she commented on all things 80's, etc. i recorded the episode that lisa thought you would be on and i either missed you or recorded the wrong one. okay, out.

tara said...

OH hey kates! While in my lovely world of blog stalking..I FOUND YOU!! Yeah! I just am so jealous you got a picture with chuey! SeriouslY! That's awesome..can I live through you??