Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Saying Goodbye...

For those of you who didn't get to say your last goodbyes, I apologize. It just got to the point where I couldn't take care of her anymore. Saying goodbye was hard, but I know she is in a better place now. I am still dealing with the loss but I know we are never given anything we can't handle so that always offers some comfort. For those of you who don't know, I underwent my 3rd (yes you heard it right) bunionectomy. It kind of nice to get the third surgery, which is usually reserved for women over the age of 75, out of the way at the ripe ol' age of 25. I took a picture of what we were dealing with right before I left for the hospital. This was the last time I saw her...alive. This is a close up of the beaut, I have no idea why my dad gave me the nickname of "Fred Flinstone Foot." Honestly, my mom has the prettiest feet you have ever seen, I am so glad I got those genes. As you can see I already have about a 6 inch incision going. Light at the end of the rainbow, they used the same incision. I was actually thinking about when I had my first surgery, I was only in 8th grade. I didn't want to use the word bunion to describe my "problem" so I came up with creative ways to describe my problem. I used to talk about how I had a collapsing arche and so it shifted the bones around. Pretty creative right? All was going fine until Wes Berge told everyone that it was called a bunion....and his grandma had the same thing going on.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think I look really good in the hospital gown. Super flattering. Here I am modeling my IV because this was the part I was most nervous about. I have a SEVERE fear of needles. Part of the problem is the fact that I have the worst veins, they are impossible to find. Thanks Mom for passing those on...instead of the pretty feet. When I went to get my blood tested before the surgery I completely passed out in the nurse's station. Like, eyes rolling back in my head, the whole bit. But I didn't even flinch, thanks Trudy, you did a great job!Here's my little home nurse Lisa. She has been the biggest help and has been at my beck and call since the surgery. She took the whole day off of work so she could be with me after the surgery. I really don't know what I would have done without her this week. Who could have asked for a better best friend? Some sweet things she has done: stocked the house with Popsicles because that is all I will eat, create a med chart so we know when I need to take my medicine, walks me to and from the bathroom about 10 times a day, keeps my water and ice packs nice and cold, falls asleep downstairs on the couch so if I need her I can just tap her, and took me on a drive to get me out of the house to give me a boost. I sure love you Lisa, thank you so much!Last night on the drive I asked Lisa to take me to Smiths. Now, I don't know about you but I have ALWAYS wanted to ride around in one of these "Mart Karts". My dream finally came true! I think its one of those things that is fun until you actually have to be in it. I felt pretty stupid because I felt like people thought I was faking. Yeah sir, I put on a sweatsuit, washed off all my makeup, undid my hair, wrapped up my foot and put on this ugly shoe just so I wouldn't have to walk my own butt around. It was nice to find things that are on lower shelves because they were at eye level. I am serious, I have been trying to find these gingersnaps from when I was a kid and I have combed the cookie aisle trying to find them and I never have. Thanks to the mart kart I found them last night....they were at eye level.

I am really looking forward to the day when I am up and at em but I am doing just fine. I am so lucky to have such great family and friends who have taken such good care of me. They have done everything from cooking, cleaning, and doing my laundry. You guys are the best! And maybe its just the bunion talking but its nice to finally get my daily dose of Matlock. Luckily, my manager just showed up to rip out the counter tops....awesome! But luckily, they are going to be done on Friday....

25 comments:

Nicole said...

Good ole' Wes Berge. That was really nice of him to out you. I am glad that you survived the IV and even more glad that you have such a good friend. Thank goodness for Lisa! Hope you continue to recover and that this one sticks.

AnneMarie said...

Lisa is awesome! I'm so glad someone is taking care of you and so well. Was this surgery supposed to fix it or will you have to do this every so many years? I hope you're out of those mart karts soon!

Karrissa Winward said...

dang that Wes Berge....

Englishfam said...

Katie, please for the sake of my ab muscles being really sore, stop being so hilarious!! I was laughing for start to finish. The highlights being Wes Berge, taking your hair out and makeup off for the proper "mart cart look", and you finding your ginger snaps. Thanks for the laughs. I love it!!!
p.s. I have been telling everyone I know about the gorge challenge. I am still coming up with my own food of choice...

Clegg Family said...

I'm not going to lie...you look pretty fabulous in the Mart Kart! Look at the bright side, now you have the boot and next time you don't put make-up on or shower, just go right ahead and put the boot on and jump in the nearest Mart Kart when you go shopping...Perfect!

::David and Erin:: said...

Katie! It's Erin Brown, formerly with SUU, now with UVSC. Sounds like you're having a lot of adventures! I hope your foot is healing well!

I sure wish we could get our act together in Prospective Student Services at UVSC...I'm the out of state recruiter...shouldn't I be in California with the rest of you???

Anyway, my blog is set to private. What's your email address and I'll send you an invite! If you have Nicks, send that my way too.

riley said...

You have such a pretty face! {AKA: Your feet are heinous {I know it's drastic, but I did have to reach back into the 80's to describe the maddness}, never post a pic again}

I love your pre-surgery pedicure. Your toes have got to be blingin and pretty while the doctor operates! Nice.

Hilarious, I love the pics and stories. I love those Ginger Snaps too, I found them 2 years ago during my mart cart days. Good thing Mom wasn't there taking care of you, if they didn't have a mart cart, you'd be riding shotgun in the cart with the bench attached, next to your 2 year old daughter. You have yet another reason to be grateful for Lisa.

Hope you get feeling better soon!

riley said...

g/g'u/yi'/yjlfhkditjtjfknmfhnjnfhngndgngdsntsntnetnetn4en6t e34 5n3n n563n6j3n6n346nj 34n 6n346j34n636n

laine

daddy

mommy

gabe

riley

Amberlin Gefrom said...

Lisa and you are such great friends and way to be a trooper

Eleyna Julia said...

Yea for Lisa! What a nice friend. LOL on Wes' bunion comment! High school...thank heavens none of us have to do that again!

Whitney said...

i have been looking for those ginger snaps! now i know all i needed was a mart cart. you looked fantastic in your cap going in for surgery. and despite your grandma bunion, your toes looked gorgeous and professional looking as always! i love you!! you are hilarious.

Gaengy said...

Thank Lisa for taking such good care of my Katiedoo. Your toes looks so pretty, I am now sporting a lovely fungus in my big toe from my last pedicure trip so I am jealous that your toes look so good. I will spare you the details of my toe because it is so sickening! Love hearing about your adventures.

Kasi French said...

Well ... I vote for a daily dose of Katie! You are so freakin' hysterical. I'm sitting here at work - obviously working hard - and I find myself having to explain to my boss why I about fell off my chair laughing! Happy Recovery!!

Jenny G said...

I'm so glad you survived the IV. I pass out too. I've had smelling salts and juice to bring me back to life. I hope you are feeling better real soon!

Chelsi Lasater said...

Get well soon!! I have another friend who has bunions too, don't worry; you're never alone. xoxo

Mel said...

Bunions have got to be the worst word in the dictionary. Carl has them too and they are not pretty. Atleast you had them removed. I used to be terrified of needles and got over that with having kids and getting tested for my illness. I am like 'here's the vein you want " You are a crack up! I loved the mart cart. I have always wanted to ride in one of those too! So fun. Glad you found your ginger snaps. Ask my mom about how she likes ginger snaps the next time you talk to her. Lisa is such a good friend to take care of you! You would do the same. Still waiting to go to VCP!!!

Kelsie said...

KATE!! I found your blog from your facebook page! Devin and I have a blog too, it isn't near as exciting as yours! It is fun to see what is going on in your life! Nice to know that your foot surgery you spoke of last night, was really a bunion! Have a good day!

Ashlee said...

Kate,
Mj told me about your blog a week ago and I found myself hysterically laughing. How do you make "normal" life so dang funny? There needs to be more Kate Gildeas in this world. Really your post make my day.

Amy said...

You are so funny. Between my girls and the Gildea girls I am constantly entertained. So sorry about your toe problem. Next time I see you I hope you are not wearing orthopedic shoes! Get better soon.

Unknown said...

ah the bunions. only for women over 75, you and TODD! todd got his out a couple of years ago..or so. what a blessing. and, i do agree, before i even read the part about you looking good in the hospital i thought "she looks so good!" that is true. and how sweet lisa is. wish i could have brought you some tom and jerrys to mix it up. love you! ash bo

Ashleigh said...

great post. i have to agree with you on the needles. the worst part of having a baby for me is really the iv. one iv experience stands out . . . the one where she hit my wrist bone, tried again and then did the other side.

i didn't know you tried to cover up the bunion in the early years. i seemed to always be clearly aware of your bunion surgery. it's good to see you've moved away from the insecurities to the point that you're posting feet pictures on your blog.

good better soon!

The Webber's said...

Katie -
I just discovered your blog and it is AWESOME! I was laughing my butt off! You are so hilarious! I wish I could be you for a day! I think my favorite was your eating challenge! I hope you are recovering from your surgery! We are moving to Logan next month - We will have to do lunch or something!

Steph said...

I do have to say your pedicure looks fabulous! You poor thing... sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, this one knocks it ;) What a friend that Lisa is!

I missed you this weekend... so sorry we never got together...my fault! I got here and things got crazy with the shower and all. Forgive me. I promise one of these days it will happen. I NEED some Katie time, it's been way too long.

The Wells Family said...

I am a blog stalker and friend of Ben & Nats. :) She told me about your blog and I couldn't resist the laughter. I especially couldn't resist commenting on this post. I, too, am a fellow bunionectomy patient. Ha Ha! Ah, the days of the blue boots (both feet) walking across the USU campus during the winter. I even landed a job from my pediatrist after my surgery. Thank you Dr. Edwards for great feet AND a great job! I am glad that I share a bunion scar with someone who isn't over 70.

Cheers!
Deb Wells

Julie Knowlton said...

It took a lot out of me, but I was able to shed a proper farewell to your bunion. I am glad you are doing well, and thank you for making me laugh. :)