Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mommy's Day

In honor of my most wonderful Mom I just wanted to do a quick post wishing her a special day. Here's some of my favorite things about my Mom: She loves to shop just like me. Like sometimes its a shop till you drop situation. Which I never mind of course! So if anyone wonders where my behavior came from...this is her. This was us shopping in Portland this year. She got REALLY into scarves, isn't she cute?
This is us at a pub in Portland. For the last 3 years my Mom picks one of my work trips to come along with. It has been SO fun. We have been to Seattle, Portland and Phoenix. It has become such a fun tradition and we have had so many special times together. It's fun to have her all to myself for a couple of days!
I love this picture of my Mom because once again this is an inherited trait. She has such a sweet tooth! I am glad I inherited that from her...but I am still trying to figure out how she doesn't have a muffin top...And yes you are seeing this right. Those are silky leopard bottoms. Oh Mother. My Mom is one of the best grandma's in the whole world. She is so great with the kids and they just adore her. And I must say I hope she passes on those genes for ageing well!
Some other things I love about my mom:
-I loved as a kid, she was always sitting in the front room waiting for us to get home. She always gave us a hug and had us sit and tell her about our day.
-She loved to make stuff special. One of my favorite things is she would do themed nights for dinner. Like Asian night and we would all sit and wrap won tons or 50's night with hamburgers, homemade fries and milkshakes.
-Every morning my mom got up and made breakfast complete with our own vitamin pile.
-She never missed one assembly or performance I was in.
-She is a servant. I can't remember a week in my life that she wasn't taking dinner or a treat to someone in our neighborhood. She loves to serve those around her. She will be embarrassed that I re posted this, but this is hilarious. This is a convo over IM between her and my sister Natalie. Really captures my mom's great attitude:

Mom: I made my little 87 year old friend a chocolate pie and you know she just cant give a compliment...when i asked her how it was she said it was okay...i thought are you kidding me i make the best crust around and your homemade pudding was so delicious!
Nat: that's hilarious!
Nat: you do make the best crust
Mom: yea i wanted to spank her
Nat: LOL, spank her
Nat: and I know for damn sure that pudding is the best thing she's ever tasted! {Sorry, she made the pudding recipe I just posted, I don't swear often but found it appropriate in this case}
Nat: that's funny
Mom: i love her though she is such a stink pot
Nat: yeah, I remember who you are talking about her, I remember who she is
Mom: she is going to have surgery next week and i was afraid she might not make it so i made her the pie before she dies
::{Oh man, she is so serious. That is my Mom to a T. Hilarious.}::

I really do have the best Mom in the whole world and I am so lucky to have her. Thanks for teaching me so much and for loving us all just the way we are. Love you Mom, Happy Mother's Day!

15 comments:

Natalie Que said...

That's really sweet, I love that conversation we had. Even thought I had it with her, typed it out on my blog and reread it several times, I still took the time to reread it here and laughed and laughed again.

Loved the pics. And Mommy's Day? You have a little Buster in you Kate.

Nicole said...

I think Natalie is right about the Buster thing!

Sweet post. I love the pictures, I had never seen those before. I especially love the leopard silky jammies. Mom sure is a great lady.

Kristine L. said...

Agreed. Best mommy ever. Funny that you call her mommy though cause it is always mom and dad... not mommy and daddy.

Gaengy said...

Oh, I guess that Hannahs not my only Buster...Thanks for the sweet post Katie. We really have had some good times on those trips. I look forward to them so much. Thanks for being such a wonderful daughter. Love you MOM

kristen said...

Love this post. I love your mom. Too bad everyone in the 4th ward is LAME and got moving fever. Poor Muirheads....we are the only ones left I believe. :(

AnneMarie said...

I love your mom too! She has been one of my greatest examples of motherhood. When she lived up the street I would call her all the time for advice, little did I know that I was in the easy faze of parenting with those little ones. I wish she lived down the street now that I have pre-teens!

Whitney said...

i love your mom's leopard print pajamas! that just shows me that you really are her child. that conversation was hilarious!

Mel said...

Your mom is the best! I appreciate her so much being my mom's best friend. She builds my mom up and always makes her feel good about herself. I didn't know she joins you on your trips. That is such a fun thing. Love the post.

Englishfam said...

Julie really is the greatest! Putting up with 5 girls I think would put me over the edge, but she seemed to do great with it. Look how awesome you all turned out to be! Hope you had a great mothers day Julie, you deserve it!
p.s. I LOVE the conversation with Nat, so hilarious!!

The Funderburks said...

Now I know where you get your good looks too!

The Wells Family said...

That is so wonderful! I need to meet you mom. Really the whole Gildea clan. Really.

I feel even better because I have leopard silk pants too (and a matching top). How cool am I?

Chelsi Lasater said...

cute. :)

Kara and Mike Barber said...

Ok, so mike and I love reading your blog, you are so creative, i think you should do some sort of free lance writing you would be awesome! The cinco day mayo post was hilarious, mike and i were cracking up!

Unknown said...

are you back yet?? that was so fun seeing you. i want to see you again... i love you bud!

J & A said...

Katie,
I found your blog through Bambi's and I think you're hilarious! I especially loved the post about your things that must go. I think I don't do any of those things except for blast the same song over and over. Maybe I was at the car wash in Logan that day? I'm going to add you as a link on my blog--hope that's all right. Keep the blogs comming!
Ashley